A pool is a worthy investment that offers an instant solution to beat the heat and have fun with your family and friends without stepping out of your home.
Just like your house or car, the pool also requires regular care and maintenance to work efficiently all year long.
Some pool care tips to follow are:
- Install premium quality electric pool cover or pool enclosure for protecting it from external damage
- Regularly remove dead leaves and debris
- Maintain pool chemistry
- Shock the pool
In this blog, we will focus on pool shocking. There are two options: chlorine and non-chlorine.
Both types help to keep pool water sparkling clean and clear, but still, they are different.
Read this blog to know the comparison between chlorine and non-chlorine shock for swimming pools.
Liquid chlorine, Cal Hypo, Lithium Hypo, and Dichlor are some of the common chlorine shock treatments available in the market.
- Calcium Hypochlorite: Available in powder form and the cheapest option to shock your pool. It has high pH and must be used with the highest care. After the application, it’s recommended to wait for 18-24 hours to use your pool again.
- Liquid chlorine: Inexpensive, requires relatively a low dose, and has the highest pH as compared to other chlorine shocks. However, avoid using your pool for 24 hours after adding liquid chlorine.
- Lithium hypochlorite: Calcium-free and dissolves immediately, but is less powerful, requires higher doses, and is more expensive than Cal Hypo. Suitable for smaller residential pools.
- Dichlor: Also known as stabilized chlorine, Dichlor can easily withstand harmful UV rays and is often added in the form of tablets to clean outdoor pools.
- Dissolves instantly
- Oxidizes organic matter to clean water
- Alleviates chloramines and ammonia
- Inhibits the growth of algae and other microorganisms
- High doses of chlorine can ruin sensitive pool surfaces
- After the addition of chemicals, you have to wait for 12-24 hours to use the pool again
- High pH levels
- Require extra care and handling
- Dangerous to store and use
- Strong odor
- A pool can become cloudy
- Leaves residue
Also, known as chlorine-free shocks, it contains a mixture of potassium salts and oxygen that can oxidize the water, remove impurities and prevent cloudy pool water.
This treatment is not effective in sanitizing the pool well but helps chlorine work efficiently to kill bacteria and other organisms.
- Dissolves immediately
- No residue and odor
- Low pH value
- Oxidizes free chlorine and other debris
- Use the pool after 15 minutes of adding chemicals
- Can be used during the daytime
- Not harsh on pool liners, paint, or other sensitive surfaces
- Ineffective in killing algae and bacteria
- Not ideal for heavy pool use
Which option is better?
Chlorine shock is the best bet to kill algae and microorganisms in the pool.
On the other hand, if you want to get rid of heavy debris, clear dirty water, and get back to swimming immediately, non-chlorine shock is the ideal option.
The non-chlorine shock offers a host of benefits and can be used as an oxidizer in a pool or spa.