Over the years how many mobile phones have you bought that you no longer use? Most of us update our devices every year and leave the old ones locked away in drawers without realizing that we are creating an electronic waste or junk pile that could be of value. Eventually, you may dump all these old devices in the garbage, but before you do consider the following statistics. Getting rid of electronic devices without harming the environment is very hard. For this reason, you should always hire an expert. If you rent a dumpster, you can forget about doing the hard work. They will pick up your garbage and will make sure to dispose of them properly.
Benefits of Electronic Recycling
- For every mobile phone that is recycled, enough energy is created to power a laptop for 40 hours or more. The more you recycle, the cheaper your devices get over time.
- Every year, Americans throw away 130 million phones. If all those were recycled they would generate enough power for 20,000 homes for one year. If you are keen on reducing your carbon footprint you must always recycle your old mobile phones and tablets.
- You can do more than generate power from recycling mobile phones and tablets. For every one million phones that are recycled, you get 75 pounds of gold, 772 pounds of silver. We can get 33 pounds of palladium and over 35,000 pounds of copper, not to mention tin, zinc, and platinum.
- Old devices contain dangerous elements that cause harm to the environment when they end up in landfills. These include lead, mercury, arsenic, and cadmium. They are expensive to mine so recycling them not only helps manufacturers cut costs, but it is also good for the environment.
- Many users will upgrade to a newer phone within 18 to 24 months or sooner. They don’t know what to do with their old devices so they end up stashing them away at home. Where they get too old to be recycled.
Clearly, it makes a lot of sense to recycle old phones and tablets rather than throw them in the garbage to create a junk pile at home.
Helpful Tips While Buying a Phone Online
After recycling your old mobile phones or tablets, we tend to buy another with the latest features and upgraded model. Following is an infographic containing the tips if you are looking to buy a cell online: