Jute industry and IT sector – both are the far ends of a rainbow, and yet, Mr. Ghanshyam Sarda has set his foot and aims in both these fields. Needless to say, he is excelling in them too.
Mr Ghanshyam Sarda was born in the year 1952 to Late Mr. Shiwlal Sarda and his wife in Calcutta, India. He completed his graduation from St. Xavier’s College, Calcutta. Post his graduation. He entered into the family business founded by his father. At the same time, the jute industry was on the verge of dying, and Mr Ghanshyam made it a lifetime mission to revive it to its past glory.
From his beginnings as a humble Jute trader, Mr Ghanshyam Sarda is one of the country’s largest Jute Manufacturers and employers. His setup has over 70,000 people working across West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh, and Bihar. The conglomerate he has built is worth INR 25,000 Crs, and it was possible only due to his vision and dedication. Not only jute, but the group has also forayed into diverse businesses, including IT/ITeS, Real Estate and the Service sector.
Also Read: Ghanshyam Sarda’s Sarda Group impact on Social Development
Reviving sick units
When Mr Ghanshyam Sarda had joined his family business, jute was losing its charm. He took it upon him to revive the business back to glory and export it. He revived sick jute mills with his determination and hard work. There was no stopping him after that. Today, The Sarda Group contributes a 20% share in India’s jute industry.
He didn’t stop himself with only jute. He had a knack to revive the sick industries, and it earned him a reputation.
- He acquired the wilting Kolmark Chemicals Limited and gave it a new life.
- Likewise, in 1994 Mr Ghanshyam Sarda acquired the closed seafood processing plant in Raichak, West Bengal. He changed the destiny of this plant. Currently, this is the largest seafood processor in West Bengal and one of the best Quality certified plants in India.
- In 2002, he took over BSL Limited.
- In the same year, the IT wing of the Sarda group received the land deeds for its call Center. The IT business is called Vision Comtech
- 2004 saw the group pick up stakes in GIC Housing Finance. The group had entered into real estate.
- With jute mills in Bengal, plants in Bihar, Odisha and Andhra Pradesh, the group further plans of setting up units in Rajasthan and Tamil Nadu.
- The group has also acquired JK Mills in Kanpur, owned by Singhania.
With his unique skill of reviving sick industries by motivating the workers, Mr Ghanshyam Sarda has revived wilting units across sectors – from jute, tea, chemical, real estate to IT.
For the society
Mr Ghanshyam Sarda, apart from being a resolute industrialist, has also taken steps to improve the lives of his workers and society.
- He has set up Ram Dev Sarda Mahal Vidyalaya in Bihar, Purnea District. This college is run by Chandrakala Devi Sarda Charitable Trust of Sarda Group. It caters to about 5,000 students every year.
- He has announced rupees Five Crores as a contribution to the Trauma Center in Bikaner. This is a project aided by the Government of Rajasthan and is dedicated to the deceased parents of Mr Ghanshyam Sarda.
- He has started a venture for the health benefit of Jute Mill workers.
- Mr Ghanshyam Sarda has lauded the government’s effort to replace single-use plastic with jute. He is of the opinion that the Jute industry plays a major role in the socio-economic development of the country. Jute is Eco friendly, recyclable and biodegradable. It meets the need of the hour. The jute industry is the livelihood of about 3 to 4% of India’s population.
- In times of Covid, he has taken steps to vaccinate all his employees free of cost.
- He battled to reopen the Jute mills during the unlocking phase of covid, especially for gunny bag production. He promised that the premises would be sanitized, and all the social distancing norms would be kept and followed.
- Mr. Ghanshyam Sarda has applauded the budget, where the aim is to double rural income by 2022.
Mr Ghanshyam Sarda is appreciated and honoured for his contributions by many. A few of his awards are listed below.
- In 2019, Mr Ghanshyam Sarda won the Times Business Award. The event was held in Kolkata. The event was attended by renowned industrialists, celebrities like Mr. Anil Kapoor and foreign dignitaries. Mr Ghanshyam Sarda received the award from Mr Jurgen Thomas Schrod, German Counsel General.
- Amongst the Top Icons of Kolkata, he received the “Leading Industrialist from Kolkata” ward in 2019
Mr Ghanshyam Sarda is an excellent example of how hard work, determination and dedication would bring success to one’s life. From his humble beginnings to reach the world market in diversified fields, Mr Ghanshyam Sarda and his life is the source of inspiration to millions.