Did you know that there’s someone in the world who thinks moving is easy? Do you know who that is? No one, that’s who.
See it for yourself. Mention anyone that you are planning to move soon. All you will get is that gaze with pity-filled eyes.
“Hindsight is 20/20” stands accurate when it comes to moving. Even experts from commercial moving companies say that people call them last-minute and express they wish they had done things differently. But you don’t have to worry.
In this blog, we have compiled a list of moving hacks that work and also the ones that don’t. So read it carefully.
Moving Hacks That Can Change Your Life For Good
- Seize the opportunity to purge and get rid of things that you no longer need/ use before packing. Create 3 piles – donate, sell, throw. Donate useful items to old age homes, orphanages, etc. Host a yard sale for electronics and furniture you won’t be needing in your new home. And throw away the things that are entirely useless, and just accumulating space in your household.
- Create a moving checklist and plan everything week by week, so there’s nothing left for the last minute.
- Inform your bank, credit card companies, loan provider, doctor, and various service providers about the move, and update your address. Get in touch with local providers in your new locality and discuss your requirements.
- Hire the best movers in Frederick, Maryland. Curate the list of movers in your area, shortlist some of the best based on their reviews, testimonials, and online presence; interview them, and pick the one that suits your needs and budget.
- Buy used boxes, and pack everything room by room. It can make unpacking hassle-free. Don’t forget to label them. Additionally, create inventory lists and stick them outside the boxes, respectively. Another option to consider is renting moving boxes from companies like Boxbee who can quickly and effortlessly help you move from one location to your next.
- For fragile items, use cling or bubble wrap, and pack them in a bedsheet rather than in a cardboard box.
- Place cotton balls in your makeup items to prevent them from breaking.
- Pack all the clothes in a clean trash bag along with hangers to make unpacking easier. Do the same for the hardware of furniture after dissembling the pieces. Label the trash bags to avoid confusion.
- Get your carpet deep cleaned by professional cleaners. Furthermore, use ice cubes to remove the dents in the carpet.
- Take pictures of the back of your computer to make setting it up easier.
- To avoid tangling of electrical wires, string them in towels or toilet paper rolls.
- Create handles with a box cutter to make lifting easier.
- Pack an “essential” bag that includes toiletries, medicines, food items, and extra clothing.
- Give clear loading/ unloading instructions to moving professionals on the big day. Make sure they are on the same page as you.
- Ensure all boxes on your moving checklist are ticked one day prior to the move. You must account for emergencies and unfavorable situations.
Moving Hacks That Fail All The Time
- Planning a DIY move.
- Leaving everything for the last minute.
- Having a free moving budget.
- Packing jewelry along with your makeup.
- Moving heavy items yourself.
- Wrapping wooden furniture with plastic tape.
- Packing knives with other utensils.
- Hiring the first moving company you come across.
- Stuffing your shoes with a liquid dishwasher, shampoo, and conditioner.
- Moving your refrigerator with food items in it.
- Not packing the fragile items carefully.
We understand the stress associated with moving houses. It can be a daunting experience if not planned and executed properly. It can steal your mental sanity and be tough on your family. But you can make it all easy by following the above-mentioned moving hacks that work, and avoiding the ones that don’t.